Fire destroys Pandora Inn

Profile image for irgmcdonald

By irgmcdonald | Thursday, March 24, 2011, 15:49

A fire has completely destroyed the roof and first floor of the Pandora Inn near Falmouth. 

It is believed the fire at the world renowned pub started at around 11am and began in the chimney to the left of the building. No one was hurt in the blaze. 

According to a local resident at the scene: 'The landlord of the pub came out and asked to use the neighbour's phone to call the fire brigade as his wasn't working.'

Six fire engines, from Falmouth, Truro and Redruth, were at the scene and local residents were advised to say indoors and close their windows. The fire brigade initially pumped water from the sea but had to move taking it from a tanker as the tide went out. The Falmouth Coastguard were also at the scene and the road to the pub was closed.

The landlord Steve Franks believes the fire started after a strong wind went through the building whilst he was lighting the open fires. These strong winds then fueled the fire and it 'took hold really quickly.'

You can click here to see our gallery of the incident or watch the video above.

Do you live in the area? Let us know your eyewitness account in the comments below. 

      

Comments

       
  • Profile image for Em_Williams

    This is so sad, have heard they are planning on rebuilding so good luck to them. Such a lovely place.

    By Em_Williams at 10:08 on 27/03/11

      Report
              
     
max 4000 characters
        
   

Latest Stories in Falmouth

       
      

Local Vouchers

       
   

Local Jobs

       
   

Search for...

       
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min rent is bigger than Max rent